POL 211—Assignment for Friday, February 3d:
Question: In the third full paragraph of chapter 17 of the prince, at the bottom of page 51, Machiavelli asks a famous question. What question does he ask, and what is his answer.
After stating the question that Machiavelli asks in this chapter, you should explain his answer in no more than two paragraphs of three or four sentences each. You should demonstrate that you understand Machiavelli’s answer and his reasons for it.
This is essentially a closed-book, take-home exam:
1. You must use Wootton’s edition of Machiavelli’s Prince of course, but no other sources—written, oral, or digital—may be used.
2. You may not discuss the paper with anyone else.
3. You may not get help from anyone, including the CTL, in writing it.
4. No footnotes are necessary.
5. No title page is necessary.
6. Put your Student ID # at the top of the page: not your name. Your name should not appear anywhere on the page. If it is, I will not accept the paper and will give you a zero.
7. SIGN THIS SHEET AND HAND IT IN SEPARATELY ON FRIDAY.